Sheikh Jarrah: Two suspects arrested on charges of attacking a journalist in East Jerusalem

The incident came after a controversial flag-carrying march through Jerusalem’s Old City on Sunday.

“Last night, during riots in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of East Jerusalem, during which stones were thrown, two suspects at the scene were attacked with brutal violence, which allegedly included beating with a stick, fists and pepper spray , a journalist who attended and covered the events” and “allegedly stole his mobile device,” the statement said.

“As a result of the attack, the journalist was injured and needs medical attention,” the report says.

“We are tough on violence of any kind and, in particular, against journalists in the performance of their duties. We will continue to stand firm against violence and bullying until the perpetrators are complicit in these acts,” the Israeli police said in a statement.

The attacked journalist Iyad Harab works for the Israeli news channel Kann News. The CNN team on site saw Kharab lying on the street just after he was attacked, screaming about the pain in his eyes.

Harab later said in a video message posted on Twitter that “young Jews” sprayed him with “pepper spray or tear gas”. MK Ahmad Tibi shared a video statement by Harab about the incident.

Sheikh Jarrah's families facing forced eviction reject Israeli Supreme Court's proposal

“I came here after I finished with the activities at the Damascus Gate, after the march had passed … There were clashes here, and I came to shoot young Jews. After they saw that I was filming, they came up and told me ‘movie.’ Then they attacked me. Someone came and sprayed me with pepper spray or tear gas, I don’t know for sure,” Kharab said.

“I fell to the ground, I didn’t see anything. And after I fell, they came with sticks, beat me on the head, on the back, on the leg. on the ground. I want to emphasize that the police, I shouted and shouted, but the police were on the spot and did nothing. They didn’t lift a finger,” he added.

Two were stabbed near the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in Jerusalem, the attacker was shot dead

Asked to respond to Harab’s allegations, an Israeli police spokesman said, “After a serious case, the police launched an investigation, and as a result, they were able to arrest two suspects in a short time, and the court granted the police request. and extended their detention for several days.”

A video taken by CNN and others immediately after the incident shows Israeli officers offering help to Harab and trying to get water for him.

Sheikh Jarrah is an area in East Jerusalem near the Old City, which often becomes a hotbed of clashes between Israelis and Palestinians.

During Sunday’s flag parade through the Old City, the CNN team witnessed several violent clashes as Israeli nationalists attacked Palestinians and journalists, including CNN staff, with pepper spray and threw sticks and bottles at reporters gathered to cover the march.