FiveThirtyEight is hiring Art and Design Intern for summer and autumn. Are you someone who loves to use photography, illustration and design to tell a compelling story? Are you considering a career in visual journalism? The Art and Design Intern will work with the FiveThirtyEight Senior Designer and Story Editors to make our stories as visually appealing as they are well crafted and written. For someone interested in editorial design, this is a great opportunity to make a huge impact on a small team.
This paid internship will run from approximately May/June 2022 to January 2023 and may be fully remote if you live outside of NYC. Current students of accredited colleges or universities, as well as recent graduates who completed at least one course in the semester prior to the internship, are eligible to participate in the program.
An art and design intern can work up to 40 hours per week (with some flexibility in schedule if needed).
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, and a link to your website or portfolio via Disney Career Portal. Even if you do not check all the boxes below, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible! If you have any questions about this role, please email Emily Scherer, Senior Designer.
- Research, crop and write photo captions for stories
- Apply styling to photographs to create visually coherent artistic elements for stories in a series (such as news about the World Cup).
- Considering the order and pace of the images in the story to find the best way to keep our readers interested throughout the story.
- Create custom illustrations for daily and feature articles
- Help building stories in WordPress and contributing ideas for titles and other display text to make sure all the elements of the story fit together well.
- Collaboration with other FiveThirtyEight teams on video and interactive projects.
- Interest in a career in graphic design, art direction, photo editing and/or illustration
- Experience in fine arts or photojournalism at the college level
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Friendliness and willingness to cooperate
- Familiarity with and interest in US politics, sports, and/or science
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, After Effects and/or WordPress
ABC News and FiveThirtyEight are equal opportunity employers. Applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.