Daniil Medvedev still hopes to play at Wimbledon

There was also speculation last week that Wimbledon could be stripped of their two-round ranking points if the ban remains in place, effectively cutting back on the world’s most famous tennis tournament for the exhibition event.

“I tried to follow what was happening because I don’t have to make any decisions. Now it’s about Wimbledon itself, ATP, maybe the British government is involved,” the Russian, who will return to action in Geneva after spending the past six weeks recovering from a hernia operation, told reporters on Sunday.

“This is a difficult situation and like any situation in life, you ask 100 players and everyone will give their opinion.

“(When) you show a tennis ball to 100 people, I’m sure some of them will say it’s green, not yellow. I think he is yellow. (But) if someone tells me he’s green, I won’t confront that person.”

Medvedev, who lost to Nadal in the Australian Open final in January, missed the start of the European clay court season as he had to miss events in Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome to regain his fitness.

Medvedev has not played since the March tournament in Miami.

The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) has banned players from the two countries from participating in Wimbledon this year in response to what Russia calls a “special military operation” in Ukraine. Belarus was a key springboard for the invasion.

AELTC said it made the decision after negotiations with the British government.

US Open champion Medvedev said he remains hopeful that AELTC may change its mind too late.

“I don’t know if this decision is 100% and it’s over (for me),” he said.

“If I can play, I will be happy to play at Wimbledon. I love this tournament. If I can’t play, well, I’ll try to play other tournaments and prepare well for next year if I get the chance to play.”