Sandals Bahamas deaths: 3 Americans found dead at resort last month have died due to carbon monoxide poisoning, police say

“At this stage of the investigation, we can officially confirm that all three victims died as a result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning,” the Royal Bahamas Police said in a statement. “This matter remains under active investigation.”

Police previously told CNN that no signs of injury were found on the bodies, and Acting Bahamas Prime Minister Chester Cooper said there was no suspicion of foul play. Police declined to comment other than the cause of death of all three US citizens in the latest news release.

Autopsies are being conducted on guests found dead at the Sandals resort in the Bahamas.  Here's what we know

The Americans – Michael Phillips, 68, and his wife, Robbie Phillips, 65, from Tennessee, and Vincent Paul Chiarella, 64, from Florida – died within one evening. Chiarella’s wife, 65-year-old Donnis, was airlifted to the nation’s capital Nassau for further treatment before being transferred to Florida.

The two couples reported not feeling well the night before and were spotted by medical personnel, Bahamian Police Commissioner Paul Roll said in May, and ate at different locations.

The staff found the couples in different villas the next morning and alerted the police.

In a statement Wednesday, Sandals Resorts spokesperson Stacey Royal said: “Ensuring the safety and well-being of our guests and team members has always been and will continue to be of paramount importance.

“We have taken additional measures such as bringing in environmental experts to comprehensively review all of the resort’s systems. In addition, carbon monoxide detectors are installed in all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay, and sensors will be installed in all rooms throughout the resort. portfolio. “