AfriForum takes legal action after last-minute cancellation of Covid rules



The lobbying group AfriForum said it would sue the government after the health ministry extended the deadline for public comment on draft Covid-19 rule provisions by three months.

The Ministry of Health pushed through the draft rules late Wednesday night.

The rules are meant to help the government deal with the pandemic in the future, when the state of disaster in the country has come to an end.

The proposed rules were published in March and the public was given only a month to comment.

According to the agency, this extension is in line with legal requirements and will provide the agency with sufficient time to study and consider all comments and submissions on the regulation.

Jacques Brudric, AfriForum Campaign Manager, announced this. 702 they are concerned about all the draft regulations that the Ministry of Health has pushed through at the last minute.

“Some of the rules were more foreign than others, like compulsory medical treatment. This is part of the story that we have been through. We are concerned about the way the government has handled the process of public participation by wanting to constantly impose rules while the rest of the world is dropping masks and deregulating. It just doesn’t make sense to us,” Brudrick said.

Brudrick said AfriForum has legal papers ready to be filed against the government.

“AfriForum, along with public participation platform DearSA, will take legal action against the government’s proposed rules. AfriForum’s legal documents have already been prepared for legal action and our legal team is ready to challenge these amendments immediately.”

ALSO READ: Mask rule remains: health ministry bulletins limit Covid-19 rules

AfriForum argues that the draft rules fall outside the intended scope of the legislation.

“The legislature never intended for these laws to have such far-reaching impact and impact. Some of these proposed rules, such as mandatory quarantine, have previously been declared invalid by the court.”

DearSA states that it is also concerned about the government’s attitude to the public participation process regarding comments on the recently proposed amendments to the Health Care Act.

“The number of comments submitted, as quoted by health officials, is far less than the number of comments received and submitted by DearSA on behalf of members of the public. Over 95% of the 283,000 comments we received rejected these rules outright. A detailed account of all of these individual comments will be made available to the public shortly,” said Gideon Joubert, CEO of DearSA.