Floods in New South Wales: what you are entitled to if you are affected

Emergency grants will be offered to thousands of uninsured, low-income families in flood-hit areas to replace a wide variety of things.

Thousands of uninsured low-income families in flood-hit areas will be offered emergency subsidies to replace bedding, furniture, clothing, refrigerators and washing machines.

The number of evacuation orders in New South Wales has now risen to 102, affecting an estimated 50,000 people.

A natural disaster has been declared in 23 local government areas in New South Wales after days of heavy rain and flooding, and thousands of people are now eligible for disaster relief payments.

23 LGAs include: Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Camden, Canterbury, Bankstown, Campbelltown, Central Coast, Cessnock, Fairfield, Georges River, Hawkesbury, Hornsby, Kiama, Lithgow, Liverpool, Northern Beaches, Penrith, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Sutherland, Hills . , Wingecarribee, Wollondilly and Wollongong.

Emergency Management Minister Murray Watt said the proposed grants would also include assistance to raw material producers.

“We have seen some of these affected communities flood for the third and fourth time in 18 months, which is extremely distressing for the residents of these communities,” said Senator Watt.

Grants are subject to income and asset verification, and the amount of assistance provided based on the assessed needs of the affected household and the number and type of items damaged.

There are also grants available to cover the cost of major home repairs for low-income homeowners who have no other means of restoring their homes to a safe and habitable state after a disaster and who are not insured.

Flood Recovery Minister Steph Cook said that declaring 23 local government districts eligible would allow flood victims to access financial support.

“Obviously this is the first step, a very important first step to provide further support to individuals, families and communities,” she said.

“As we move from the emergency response phase that we are still in, to the early stages of recovery, and then to the medium and long-term recovery processes that will be required as a result.

“If there is an evacuation order, be prepared to evacuate.

“Where we have evacuation warnings to begin with so people can be ready and after that there are orders for you to leave immediately. If they are there, please leave.”

For more information please contact:

– Government Agency: Resilience NSW https://www.nsw.gov.au/resilience-nsw

– Contact for information: Service NSW on 13 77 88.


Help with childcare

Education Secretary Jason Clare has announced new emergency support and services will be available to families in 23 communities that have been declared disaster areas in New South Wales.

Support means that services may not charge break fees for children not attending care during an emergency, including when the service is closed.

Families will also receive additional paid leave during the emergency so they don’t use up their annual allowance.

“It’s common sense to make these measures automatic,” Mr Clare said.

“The last thing people want to worry about at the moment is childcare payments. This support will help families put it into practice when they need it most.”

Helping Primary Producers, Small Businesses and Non-Profit Organizations

Loans of up to $130,000 at a fixed concessional rate may be available to small businesses and primary producers directly affected by the disaster.

These loans can be used to meet carry-on needs or to repair or replace damaged items not covered by insurance.

– State Administrative Agency: New South Wales Rural Assistance Authority.

– Contact person: New South Wales Rural Aid Office on 1800 678 593.

Preferential interest-bearing loans (direct damage) and grants to non-profit organizations

Assistance to Sports and Leisure Clubs: There is a special program to assist sports and leisure clubs.

clubs to cover the cost of restoring major club facilities that were damaged or destroyed.

Assistance is provided only to those clubs that do not have the financial capacity to cover the costs of recovery from their own resources and who cannot receive assistance through the usual channels, but are able to repay any loan that may be provided.

The maximum assistance available is $12,000, including a grant of up to $2,000 and the balance in a repayable advance with interest.

– Government Agency: Treasury New South Wales

– Contact: New South Wales Treasury on 02 9228 4380.

Loans to non-profit organizations

Loan assistance is provided to voluntary non-profit organizations for the restoration of major facilities that have been damaged or destroyed.

Assistance is provided only to those organizations that do not have the financial capacity to cover the cost of recovery through their own resources or insurance and cannot receive assistance through the usual channels. Advances are subject to a maximum of US$25,000 at a preferential interest rate per annum.

– State Administrative Agency: New South Wales Rural Assistance Authority.

– Contact person: New South Wales Rural Aid Office on 1800 678 593.

Transport subsidies for raw material producers

Transport subsidies of up to 50% for the transport of livestock and fodder and 25% for the transport of dairy cattle feed are provided to assist primary producers. The maximum subsidy available is $15,000 per year.

– State Administrative Agency: New South Wales Rural Assistance Authority.

– Contact person: New South Wales Rural Aid Office on 1800 678 593.

Assistance to government agencies and local councils

Disaster Relief Operations: This assistance helps government agencies and councils meet the costs associated with providing exceptional relief and recovery measures in affected communities that are beyond

possibilities of the state or local self-government. This may include actions to restore damaged or endangered properties to safe and habitable conditions, backfilling with sandbags, and constructing temporary dams to prevent

flooding of houses.

– Public Administration Agency: Resilience NSW

– Contact person for inquiries: Resilence NSW on 02 9212 9200.

Restoration of key state assets

This measure provides financial assistance to cover the costs of restoring or repairing suitable essential public facilities damaged as a direct result of the disaster to their original condition.

distress standard.

– Government agency: Transport for NSW and Public Works Advisory

– Contact person for inquiries:

– For assistance in the restoration of public roads, road infrastructure and bridges, contact the councils

their regional representatives in Transport for NSW.

– For assistance in restoring other important community assets, councils should contact their regional

representatives of the Public Works Advisory Board.

Other help

The NSW Government may also seek reimbursement for certain other disaster relief measures taken by government agencies and councils, including the establishment and operation of evacuation and recovery centres, personal and financial counseling services, and residential trash removal.

Originally published as What you are entitled to if you are affected by floods in New South Wales