AFL 2022: Dustin Martin Richmond Tigers injury, Channel 7 journalist Mitch Cleary slams, Nathan Buckley reacts

A video featuring Dustin Martin and a reporter shares murky commentators with Kane Cornes accusing the Tigers star of “real arrogance.”

Football commentator Kane Cornes called Dustin Martin “cocky”.

The former Port Adelaide star gave Martin a bake on Wednesday after a video surfaced of the Tigers star insulting a TV reporter.

Martin went for a scan earlier this week after injured his hamstring during the Tigers’ victory over the West Coast.

After the scan, the club confirmed that Martin would miss the Tigers’ trip to play the Suns on the Gold Coast this weekend.

Watch every AFL blockbuster this weekend live and ad-free while playing on Kayo. New to Cayo? Start your free trial now >

Mitch Cleary of Channel 7 approached Martin on the street before the scan and asked how the 31-year-old was feeling.

Martin walked past the reporter and cameraman without answering.

The demonstration provoked a vicious attack from Cornes.

“It’s pretty annoying, isn’t it? I thought Dustin Martin was irritable,” Corns said in an interview with SEN SA Breakfast.

“You have the biggest star of the game who refuses to talk to, in fact, the noisiest Channel 7 reporter, the broadcaster, looks at him with genuine disdain and completely ignores him.

“There is a level of respect in how you treat people. A lot of football fans don’t appreciate the media, and a lot of players don’t either, but I think it’s more about how you treat people and if you’re going to get a $1.2 million a year check mostly from media rights, I I think there’s a real arrogance in that, and some people will say it’s too much, but after that he refuses to give interviews on the ground.

“You’re the biggest star of the game, I just think it’s not hard to just say, ‘Hey Mitch, I’m not sure mate, we’ll find out later in the week.’ That’s all you can say.

“You also talk to supporters. You may hate the media, but you’re talking to 100,000 Richmond members who never hear (from you).”

Collingwood legend Nathan Buckley defended Martin in a Twitter post on Wednesday.

Buckley said 7 News the work “received what he deserved.”

“No comment? Nothing to add to the story? Then what was the purpose of launching the vision,” he asked.

“Stopping is the height of disrespect. It violates personal and private space and is not pleasing to either the journalists asked for it or the targets.

“He got the treatment he deserves.”

Cleary responded, “I didn’t run on the news, only on social media.

“You know Dusty will stop 100-1, but that doesn’t mean 100-1 winners will never get up.

“Your former Pies boys often give great content on their doorstep.”

Martin has previously been criticized for refusing to speak to journalists, including AFL rights holders Fox Footy and Channel 7.

Martin was earlier this week makes headlines for his uncertain future in Richmond and rumored links to the Sydney Swans.

3AW Sportsday reporter Sam McClure said on Monday he was unsure if Martin would stay at Punt Road.

“I think right now as we sit here, there’s a very good chance that Dustin Martin won’t be playing at Richmond next year,” he told Sportsday.

“Sydney gets mentioned all the time…he loved Sydney and if he wanted to go there, they would move heaven and earth to make it happen.

“Damien Hardwick recently stated that if (Dustin Martin) wants to leave, he will go with (Hardwick’s) blessing.

“But he has two years left on his contract, so that’s easier said than done.”

Originally published as ‘Cocky’ journalist Dustin Martin sparks controversy on Twitter