Iran denies making demands beyond nuclear deal



Iran’s foreign minister said on Wednesday that his country is not making any demands beyond the terms of the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers as efforts to revive the failed deal failed.

The US, in recent indirect talks, accused Iran of raising issues “completely unrelated” to the nuclear deal, a clear reference to Tehran’s demand that the US remove the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps from its terrorist blacklist.

“We do not have demands that go beyond the nuclear agreement, contrary to some statements by the American side in the media,” Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian told reporters in Tehran.

“Our request is part of the 2015 agreement,” he added, appearing alongside his Qatari counterpart, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani.

The US withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal in 2018 under then-President Donald Trump, who re-imposed tough sanctions on Tehran, prompting the latter to backtrack on many of the nuclear commitments it had made under the deal.

Iran has been in direct talks with the remaining parties to the deal — and indirect talks with the US — since last April in an attempt to restore the deal, but those talks have stalled since March.

Qatar held indirect talks in Doha last week in an attempt to get the Vienna Process back on track, but those discussions ended two days later without any breakthrough.

“During the recent talks in Doha, one of the main issues we focused on was an effective guarantee from Washington, assuring us of the economic benefits associated with the agreement,” Amir-Abdollahyan said.

“The United States must make a commitment so that Iran can reap the full benefits of the 2015 deal. So far, the American side has not been able to assure us of this,” he added.