Nick Kyrgios: Star found it ‘difficult’ to focus on tennis amid assault allegations

The Australian, who beat Chile’s Christian Garin in straight sets to reach the semi-finals, was called to court in Canberra the following month after allegedly assaulting his ex-girlfriend late last year, according to Australian news reports.

When asked about the incident after his last victory, Kyrgios said he was advised not to speak openly about the affair, but he was keen to give his point of view.

“Obviously I have a lot of thoughts, a lot of things I want to say, sort of my point of view on this,” he told reporters.

“Apparently my lawyers have informed me that I cannot say anything at this time.

“I understand that everyone wants to kind of ask about it and all that, but I can’t give you too much about it right now.”

After his theatricality at the beginning of the tournament, which led to a fine and Stefanos Tsitsipas saying the Aussie had an “evil side” in character – Kyrgios’ quarter-final match was more subdued and the 27-year-old relied on his skill and mentality to advance to his first Grand Slam semi-final.

Reports of subpoenas appeared the day before he stepped onto the grass court, and after saying it didn’t really affect him, Kyrgios said it was difficult.

“Honestly, it didn’t affect me at all,” he said. “Obviously, seeing this, I’m only human.

“Of course I read about it and obviously everyone else asked questions. This was hard. It was difficult to just focus on the current mission.

“Today was the Wimbledon quarter-finals. Deep down inside, I knew I was ready for this. It didn’t affect my preparation.

“I knew I had stayed true to myself and had the best performance today.”

Kyrgios said that it was difficult for him to read the reports.

Barrister Jason Moffet, who reportedly represents Kyrgios, told The Canberra Times, which first reported it, that he was informed of the subpoena, which was “in the context of family relations.”

“The nature of the accusation is serious and Mr Kyrgios takes this allegation very seriously,” Moffett told The Canberra Times.

“Given that the case is pending before the court … at this stage he has no comments, but we will issue a press release at the right time,” Moffet added.

Amid reports that Kyrgios has been formally charged, Kyrgios’ legal representation explained in a statement sent to CNN: First appearance.

“Until the court formally admits that the prosecution will bring charges and that the charge before the court is to be applied to the person called to appear in court, it may mislead the public if the summons is described in any way other than an official order to come face to face with the charges, the exact nature of which has not yet been determined and confirmed neither by the prosecution nor by Mr. Kyrgios.”

Kyrgios will face Rafael Nadal in the Wimbledon semi-finals on Friday.

Amy Woodyat and Matt Foster of CNN contributed to the story.