The 22-time Grand Slam champion was scheduled to face Nick Kyrgios in the semi-finals on Friday. Kyrgios will now head straight to the final to face the winner of the match between Novak Djokovic and Cameron Norrie.
“I have to withdraw from the tournament,” Nadal said at a press conference on Thursday. “I have a torn (abdominal) muscle.”
Nadal said he had been thinking all day about what to do but decided it “didn’t make sense” to continue.
“If I continue, the injury will get worse and worse,” he said, adding that he was “sad” about it.
Nadal hinted that part of his decision was based on the fact that he would need to win two matches, the semi-final and the final, to win the championship.
“I think I can’t win two matches,” he said. “I don’t want to get on the field and not be competitive enough to play at the level I need to reach my goal with a big chance of making things a lot worse.”
Nadal said he expects a recovery in three to four weeks and hopes to return to compete in upcoming tournaments as expected.
The Spaniard said that the injury bothered him for about a week, but during his grueling quarter-final matchup against Taylor Fritz on Wednesday. Although he got through, winning 3-6, 7-5, 3-6, 7-5, 7-6, at times he seemed to be struggling with a stomach injury.
Matthias Grez of CNN contributed to this report.