A young woman issued an emotional warning to kick an increasingly common habit after a horrific hospital visit that ‘scared’ her doctors.
A young woman begged others to “please stop” indulging in the dangerous habit after she suffered from a collapsed lung and “the most excruciating pain” she has ever faced.
University student Grace Brassell lifted a chilling warning from the grip of her hospital bed, revealing that what she initially suspected as a broken rib turned out to be far worse.
One of the lungs of a 23-year-old girl spontaneously collapsed, which, combined with the detrimental health effects of vaping, “could have killed” her.
“Please stop smoking,” she pleaded with viewers in a TikTok video she posted last week.
Ms. Brassel described how she woke up one morning with pain in her ribs and soon began to “speak up blood”.
At the time, she thought, “Maybe I bruised my rib? Oh whatever.”
Ms Brassell eventually went to see a doctor, who apparently “feared” after seeing her X-ray.
At this point, she was told that she needed to rush to the emergency room because her lung had collapsed.
Broadcast your news live and on demand with Flash. From CNN International, Al Jazeera, Sky News, BBC World, CNBC and more. New to Flash? Try 1 month for free. Offer valid until October 31, 2022>
An x-ray showed that Ms. Brassel’s right lung was of normal size, while her left was about half the size of normal.
She was later told that while her lung collapse — spontaneous pneumothorax — was not directly caused by vaping, her continued use of the device could easily have been fatal.
“It [the lung] jumped out spontaneously because I’m tall and skinny,” Ms Brassel wrote over the clip, later writing that “it wasn’t directly due to vaping, but vaping could have killed me.”
After making the discovery, she said the doctors had to “put a massive tube down my lungs to pump out the fluid.”
She said the process was “the most excruciating pain” she had ever experienced.
“I couldn’t move for 12 hours,” she told one viewer.
Maurice Swanson, executive director of the Australian Council on Smoking and Health, said vaping threatens to undermine 40 years of work to reduce youth smoking.
“Those addicted to nicotine due to vaping were three times more likely to switch to regular cigarettes,” Mr Swanson told news.com.au.
He added that there have been many cases in the US of young people being hospitalized with serious lung conditions as a result of their smoking.
In most cases, he said, patients were found to have added cannabis oil to their devices.
“They use their vaping devices to add cannabis oil to the mix, so they have even more fun,” Mr Swanson said.
“Some of them ended up in the hospital and they didn’t add cannabis oil at all.”
Key findings from the latest global review of the health impacts of e-cigarettes by the National Center for Epidemiology and Population Health, commissioned by the Australian Department of Health, listed a host of harmful health problems caused by vaping.
Among the risks were addiction, intentional and unintentional poisoning, acute nicotine poisoning including convulsions, burns and injury, and lung damage.
Vaping has also led to indoor air pollution, environmental waste and fires, dual use with cigarette smoking, and an increased risk of smoking for non-smokers.
Less direct evidence points to adverse effects of e-cigarettes on the cardiovascular system.
markers, including blood pressure and heart rate, lung function, and adolescent brain
development and functioning, according to the review.
At least 32 countries have banned the sale of nicotine e-cigarettes, 79 countries including
Australia – allow their sale under full or partial regulation.
The remaining 84 countries do not regulate them at all. In Australia, nicotine e-cigarettes
legal only by prescription, for the purpose of smoking cessation.
Originally published as Woman warning against vaping after horrific health scare that left doctors ‘scared’