US Open: Russian and Belarusian players allowed to compete

The USTA’s decision came after Wimbledon became the first elite tennis tournament ban Russian and Belarusian athletes. Men’s ATP and Women’s WTA Tours later stripped the Grand Slam tournament of ranking points in response to the move.

Instead of following Wimbledon’s lead, the US Open will adopt the approach used by the ATP and WTA since the invasion, with Russian and Belarusian players competing under a neutral flag.

As a result, the current world no. 1 and reigning men’s singles champion Daniil Medvedev will be able to defend his title. Last year, he defeated Novak Djokovic in straight sets in the final to win his first Grand Slam.

Belarusian Arina Sobolenko, who reached the women’s semi-finals last year, will also be allowed to compete.

Sobolenko is currently the first racket of the world among women.  5.

In an interview with The Associated Press, USTA CEO Lew Sherr said the decision was made out of “concern about holding individual athletes accountable for the actions and decisions of their governments.”

A statement released by the USTA denounces the invasion of Ukraine and acknowledges that “each organization has had to deal with unique circumstances that affect their decisions.”

“Based on our own circumstances, the USTA will allow all eligible players, regardless of nationality, to compete in the 2022 US Open.”

The USTA has committed to providing “significant financial support” to humanitarian efforts in Ukraine.

“USTA will work with the players and both tours to use the US Open as a platform to advance the humanitarian efforts of the Tennis Plays for Peace program,” the statement said.

The US Open kicks off August 29 in New York.