Wales take second Test win to move up series against Springboks

The winged springboks were their worst enemy as they dominated the match but allowed Wales to a historic 13–12 win in the second Test, a three-leg equalizer at the Free State Stadium in Bloemfontein on Saturday night.

Boxing lost several chances in the first half, which caused the teams to remain at the same level at half time, and then went ahead with a score of 12: 3 to minute, and it seemed that they would comfortably finish the match.

However, Wales substitute midfielder Gareth Anscombe kept them in the hunt from a penalty kick before substitute defender Josh Adams went off for a minute try, with Anscombe’s superb sideline conversion enough to steal the win that evening.

ALSO READ: Four things we want to see from Boks in Bloem

The match began with the kickers taking center stage as Wales captain Dan Biggar put his team ahead with an early penalty, but Bock captain Khandre Pollard called back a few minutes later and made it 3-all five minutes later.

The battle then continued with Biggar and Pollard’s long-range penalties in the 14th and 18th minutes, but both flyhafs extended their attempts.

The home team then had a couple of good chances before half time but failed to break through the impressive Wales defence.

First at 24th Boxes had a penalty in Wales for a minute at 22m, but instead of going for poles, Pollard opted for the 5m lane, only hooker Joseph Dweba made an oblique throw that allowed Wales to get away easily.

At 30th For a minute, the “boxes” had an attacking scrum in the depths of Wales at 22 meters, but it became chaotic, and the guests managed to take the ball away and knock the ball out.

It was a messy end to the half as both teams made mistakes at half time and the teams went 3-all.

Similar start

The second half then began much like the first, with opportunities for kickers, with Pollard throwing a shot before Biggar missed to leave the score 6–3 in the 45th minute.

At 52th a minute later, Box then got another penalty ahead, Pollard extended the lead, while Biggar was forced off the pitch with a shoulder injury and was replaced by Anscombe.

Pollard saved an easy penalty attempt three minutes later.

Wales were then dealt a blow as his replacement, Alan Wyn Jones, received a yellow card after being harshly reprimanded for cynically batting the ball as Box attacked in their 22-meter range for 57 minute, but the replays seemed to show that he had not touched the ball.

But his 10-minute break cost his team nothing as a minute penalty from Pollard was then canceled at 67th minute Anscombe with a score of 12-6.

Anscombe then blew his chance from long range in the 70th minute as they were unable to cut the deficit further.

Wales then scored the decisive single try in a match of 78th minute, when they decided to shoot for a corner, set up a lineout, spread the ball wide so that Adams ran in and went into the left corner.

Anscombe then converted to put Wales ahead by a point and then they desperately held out for the last few seconds to record the first win in South Africa.


Springboks: Penalty – Khandre Pollard (4)

Wales: Try it – Josh Adams. Conversion – Gareth Anscombe. Penalty – Dan Biggar, Anscombe