73-year-old man dies after being brutally attacked by a group of 7 teenagers in North Philadelphia – World Today News

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Police are looking for a group of seven suspected teenagers who brutally beat a 73-year-old man with a cone and other objects in North Philadelphia last month, knocking him to the ground and causing him head injuries.

On Friday, police identified the victim as James Lambert, who died of his injuries the next day.

READ MORE: Apparent road rage shooting ends in fiery crash in Philadelphia’s Frankford borough

The incident occurred on June 24 at about 2:45 am in the 2100 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue.

Lambert was alone just a few blocks from his home when he was surrounded by seven teenagers and attacked from behind. Police say they believe the man did nothing to provoke the attack.

“This is terrible, this is a terrible incident,” said the captain of the Philadelphia police. Jason Smith said.

After the attack, Lambert was rushed to Temple University Hospital, where he died the next day.

Police say they are looking for a group of seven minors aged between 13 and 17. Among the suspects are four boys and three girls. The suspects are unknown to investigators.

On Friday, police released surveillance video.

Video footage shows the teens following Lambert as one of the boys picks up a traffic cone and hurls it at him. Lambert is knocked down and tries to run away before being hit a second time by a young girl.

Police say two teenagers attacked Lambert while the others watched.

“Mr. Lambert keeps getting up and tries to get away from the group again, at which time you can see the woman hitting Mr. Black. Lambert from behind with a construction cone,” Smith said.

After the attack, you can see one boy jumping on a scooter. Another boy has a unique patch of blond hair that the police hope you’ll recognize.

READ MORE: The body of a deceased humpback whale washed ashore in the northern part of Wildwood

“I think a curfew, yes, could absolutely prevent that,” Smith said, “but then again, there has to be parental involvement.”

Smith says the final decision on the charges will be up to the district attorney’s office.

Detectives say surveillance video shows one of the teen suspects had a phone at the time of the attack, but they haven’t seen any of the videos posted on social media.

Police say they are looking into the possibility that the suspected teenagers may be linked to other attacks in the area.

“We are looking into the possibility of whether these teenagers are involved in other attacks taking place in the area,” Smith said. “I can’t be more specific than that. No suspects have been identified at this time and we are asking for the public’s help in identifying the seven minors who were present at the time of the incident.”

Lambert’s niece, Tanya Stevens, has yet to recover from the attack.

“I just don’t understand what’s going on in our city,” Stevens said. “Where were the parents? I just don’t understand how kids that age look like they’re no older than 14. How do you commit a crime at 2 in the morning? I am the eldest and I am not at home at this hour. Parents, they must hand over their children. Children need help. They need help.”

Investigators are urging parents of teenagers to hand over their children.

Police are offering a $20,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

If anyone has any information about the incident, the police are asked to contact them.

ADDITIONAL NEWS: Steve Bannon said he was ready to testify before the committee on Jan. 6 after Trump waived his claim to executive power.

Howard Monroe, Ryan Hughes, and Matt Petrillo of CBS3 contributed to this report.