NEWNow you can listen to Fox News articles!
BUT rocket attack on Ukraine at least 15 people have died and nearly two dozen more may have been trapped under rubble while authorities work to clear the site.
The Russian attack took place on Saturday night in the eastern town of Chasov Yar, hitting a residential complex. Regional emergency services worked to rescue victims from the rubble throughout Sunday, saying in the afternoon that 24 or more people may still remain under the rubble.
This was announced by the Governor of the region Pavel Kirilenko. Russian forces fired missiles from trucks. He identified them as Soviet-designed and modeled Uragan missiles.
Emergency services said workers had contact with at least three people under the rubble.
The attack is another contradiction to Russian requirements that the military only hit targets of military importance.
Andriy Yermak, chief of staff of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, in a Telegram message called the attack a “terrorist” activity and demanded that other countries name Russia a “state sponsor of terrorism,” Reuters reported.
Saturday night’s rocket attack was the latest in a series of recent attacks on civilian structures with a large number of casualties.
At least 19 people were killed when a Russian rocket hit a shopping center in the city of Kremenchuk in late June, and 21 people were killed in a rocket attack on a residential building and recreation area in the south of the Odessa region this month.
The governor of the Luhansk region, Serhiy Gaidai, said on Saturday that Russian troops were creating “real hell” in the region.
“So far, the enemy has not announced an operational pause,” Haidai said. “He is still attacking and shelling our lands with the same intensity as before.”
Gaidai said that Ukrainian forces had destroyed ammunition depots and Russian barracks, which he hoped would lead to some pause or slowdown in the attacks.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.