NEWNow you can listen to Fox News articles!
Charlotte Hornets On Tuesday, authorities said star Miles Bridges had been charged with three counts of domestic violence in Los Angeles.
The Los Angeles District Attorney’s office announced the charges weeks after Bridges was arrested following an incident in West Los Angeles in late June..
“Domestic violence creates physical, mental and emotional trauma that has a lasting impact on survivors,” Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon said in a press release. “Children who have witnessed domestic violence are particularly vulnerable and the impact on them is immeasurable. Mr. Bridges will be held accountable for his actions and our Victim Assistance Bureau will support survivors in this difficult process.”
Representatives for the Hornets or Bridges did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.
Michelle Johnson, mother of two of Bridges’ children, addressed the incident on Instagram on July 1, posting several photos of the injuries and a medical report that said: “Adult victim of physical abuse by a male partner; suffocation attack, concussion; closed fracture. nose bones; Rib bruise; Multiple bruises; Stretching of the neck muscles.
Johnson added in a separate Instagram post: “I hate that it’s come to this, but I can’t be silent anymore. I let someone destroy my house, abuse me in every possible way, and traumatize our children for life. nothing to prove to the world, but I won’t let anyone who could do something so terrible not feel remorse and paint a picture of what I’m not. I won’t let the people around him continue to keep me quiet and continue to lie to protect this person.”
Bridges, 24, was initially arrested on July 1 for “violence by an intimate partner with injuries,” the LAPD said on Twitter. He was released on $130,000 bail and a trial date was set for July 20.
The authorities said alleged attack on the girlfriend of the defendant happened on June 27 and 28 and happened in front of their two children, according to the complaint.
Bridges faces one count of felony harm to a child’s parent and two counts of child abuse in circumstances that could result in serious bodily injury or death, authorities said.
The incident is still under investigation.
Bridges is a restricted free agent. On June 28, the Hornets made him a qualifying offer. He was Charlotte’s leading scorer with 20.2 points and 7 rebounds in his fourth season.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.