NEWNow you can listen to Fox News articles!
Charlotte Hornets Star Miles Bridges pleaded not guilty to domestic violence charges on Wednesday after he was accused of assaulting his girlfriend in front of their children.
Bridges pleaded guilty at arraignment, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said. On Tuesday, he was formally charged with one count of felony harm to a child’s parent and two counts of child abuse under circumstances or conditions that could result in severe bodily injury or death.
“Domestic violence creates physical, mental and emotional trauma that has a lasting impact on survivors,” Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon said in a press release earlier this week. “Children who have witnessed domestic violence are particularly vulnerable and the impact on them is immeasurable. Mr. Bridges will be held accountable for his actions and our Victim Assistance Bureau will support survivors in this difficult process.”
Hornets release statement on Fox News Digital late Tuesday night.
“We are aware of the allegations that were made today against Miles Bridges. These are very serious allegations that we will continue to monitor. Since this is a legal matter, we do not have further comments yet,” the team said.
The NBA added: “We are aware of the charges brought against Miles Bridges today. The league is investigating the allegations.”
Michelle Johnson, mother of two of Bridges’ children, addressed the incident on Instagram on July 1, posting several photos of the injuries and a medical report that said: “Adult victim of physical abuse by a male partner; strangulation attack, concussion; closed fracture. nose bones; Rib bruise; Multiple bruises; Stretching of the neck muscles.
Johnson added in a separate Instagram post: “I hate it has come to this, but I can’t be silent anymore. I let someone destroy my home, abuse me in every possible way, and traumatize our children for life. I have nothing to prove to the world, but I will not let anyone who could do something so terrible not feel remorse and paint a picture of who I am not. I won’t let the people around him continue to silence me. and keep lying to protect that person.”
Bridges, 24, was initially arrested on July 1 for “violence by an intimate partner with injuries,” the LAPD said in a Twitter post. He was released on $130,000 bail.
The authorities said alleged attack on the girlfriend of the defendant happened on June 27 and 28 and happened in front of their two children, according to the complaint.
Bridges is a restricted free agent. On June 28, the Hornets made him a qualifying offer. He was Charlotte’s leading scorer with 20.2 points and 7 rebounds in his fourth season.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.