Veterinary Nurse Warns Feeding Xylitol Peanut Butter to Dogs is Deadly

A veterinary nurse has warned dog owners about a common household item that could poison their beloved four-legged friend.

While most forms of peanut butter are considered safe for dogs, Chrissy McPherson says that feeding your pet low-sugar peanut butter containing xylitol is deadly.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that acts as a sweetener but is also known as wood sugar, birch sugar, and birch bark extract.

It is found in a number of foods, such as sugar-free desserts, candies and jams, jellies, nut butters, mouthwashes, and cough syrup.

Ms McPherson, who runs The Mobile Vet Nurse business, said xylitol is poisonous to dogs and can take up to 20 minutes to kick in.

“A new type of peanut butter (and other nut butters) is being sold with less sugar but now includes xylitol as a sweetener,” she wrote in a Facebook post.

“That’s what’s used in sugar-free gum, and it can be deadly to dogs.”

Ms. McPherson urged people to call the veterinary clinic, veterinary clinic or poison control center if their pet has ingested xylitol.

“Every second counts,” she said.

The warning comes as the RSPCA urges people to give their dogs adequate food, shelter and care this winter.

Last winterthe organization had 4,700 cases of abuse, some of which involved underweight animals, lack of food, and lack of veterinary treatment.

RSPCA Inspection Team Leader Michelle Green said simple actions like giving dogs a warm place to sleep and making sure they have good access to water are appropriate ways to care for pets.

Originally published as ‘Deadly’: Veterinary Nurse Warns Dog Owners About Feeding Xylitol Peanut Butter to Pets