Ricky Martin breaks silence after nephew retracts ‘damaging’ abuse allegations

Ricky Martin vowed to “begin the healing process” now that the charges of domestic violence and incest brought against him by his nephew had been dropped.

The Latin pop icon released a short video this week expressing her relief that the Puerto Rican court closed the case Thursday.

“For two weeks, I was not allowed to defend myself because I followed a procedure whereby the law required me not to speak until I appeared before a judge,” Martin said in a clip that appeared on Entertainment tonight, TMZ, and other outlets. “Thank God, those claims turned out to be false.”

The two-time Grammy winner notably did not name his accuser in the video, but said the allegations were “painful” and “devastating” to him and his family.

“I don’t wish this on anyone,” Martin said. “To the person who claimed this nonsense, I wish all the best. And I want him to find help so that he can start a new life filled with love, truth and joy, and he won’t hurt anyone.”

Martin’s video followed a more formal statement by his legal team in both English and Spanish, which also praised the court’s decision.

“This has never been more than a disturbed person making false accusations with absolutely nothing to back them up,” the statement said. “We are delighted that our client has seen justice and is now able to move forward in his life and career.”

Martin’s husband, Jwan Yosef, acknowledged his wife’s legal victory. selfie posting couple, married since 2017, on Instagram.

“Truth will prevail”, yeah wrote in the signature.

The case made headlines earlier this month after reports that Martin had been injured. temporary restraining order in Puerto Rico. The order was based on a domestic violence complaint filed by a man who claimed that he and Martin had been in an intimate relationship that had lasted seven months.

According to the allegations, Martin did not come to terms with the breakup and hung around near the man’s house at least three times. Although the accuser was not identified in the initial reports, later found out be a 21 year old singer nephewDennis Yadiel Sanchez.

The case was dismissed at the request of Sanchez, Martin’s lawyers. told CNN. “The prosecutor confirmed to the court that the decision to dismiss the case was made by him alone, without any external influence or pressure,” the lawyers’ group told the news agency.

Ricky Martin (left) and Jwan Yosef got married in 2017.
Ricky Martin (left) and Jwan Yosef got married in 2017.

Taylor Hill via Getty Images

Marty Singer, Martin’s lawyer, categorically denied claims last week.

“Unfortunately, the person who made this statement is struggling with serious mental health issues,” he said. Deadline said. “Ricky Martin certainly has never been and never will be involved in any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew.”

“The idea is not only wrong, but also disgusting,” Singer added.

So does Martin. sue by his former talent manager, Rebecca Drucker, who claims he owes her more than $3 million in unpaid commissions.

Professionally, the career of the singer “Livin’ la Vida Loca” remains at the peak of popularity. He will be back on stage this weekend. for two performances with the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl. He’s also set to appear in an upcoming AppleTV+ comedy series.Mrs. American Pie”, which starred Laura Dern and Kristen Wiig.