Facebook is launching a new “Reels” feature on Instagram in 50 countries around the world.
Lorenzo Di Cola | NurPhoto | Getty Images
Instagram flares up for copying rival TikTok.
On Monday, Kylie Jenner and Kim Kardashian both posted stories that said, “Make Instagram Instagram again. Stop trying to be a tiktok, I just want to see cute pictures of my friends.”
Over the past week, you may have noticed more videos on your Instagram feed and less activity on your posts. Instead of just showing you the posts or accounts you follow, Instagram’s algorithm changes clutter feeds with suggested content.
instagram manager Adam Mosseri posted a video on Tuesday morning, addressing the UI changes the company has been experimenting with.
The social platform is testing a full-screen feed rather than the original square feed, and is also shifting the priority to video content as “over time, more and more Instagram will turn into video,” Mosseri said.
If Instagram develops these new design features, you can easily opt out of them by changing your feed view so that you only see the accounts you want.
Here’s what to do:
- Open Instagram on your phone.
- Tap the Instagram logo in the top left corner.
- Click Subscriptions to see content from the accounts you follow.
To further optimize your feed, you can create a list of “Favorites” of the accounts you want to see.
- Click “Favorites” to view content from the accounts you’ve added as favorites.
- To refresh the Favorites list, click the menu icon in the upper right corner.
- Find the profile of the account you want to add to Favorites and click Add.
- Now you will see a feed with your “Favorites” accounts. You’ll be able to tell you’ve marked these accounts as “Favorites” if they have an orange-red star in the top right corner of their post.
- To remove an account from Favorites, click the menu button in the top right corner of the post, which looks like three dots.
- Click Remove from Favorites.