Organizers said on Tuesday that visitors to Hong Kong’s annual food show will again not be allowed to sample the delicacies due to coronavirus-related restrictions.
Tens of thousands of visitors and hundreds of exhibitors are expected at the five-day Food Expo, starting next Thursday at the city’s exhibition center.
But for the second year in a row, there will be no tasting areas and all visitors must wear masks due to public health restrictions, according to Sophia Chong, the show’s acting CEO. organizerTrade Development Council.
“We understand that visitors would like to try samples,” Chong said.
“We hope to be able to renew this arrangement after the pandemic, when it is safe and hygienic.”
The decision came a day after the government said fans at November’s Hong Kong Sevens would be allowed to drink but not eat in the stands, with masks required between sips.
Chong said they were not concerned about the impact of the measures on the show as this would be the second year of the tasting ban.
“The number of exhibitors participating in this year’s Food Expo has actually exceeded last year’s,” Chong said.
A new round of HK$2,000 (US$255) consumer vouchers will be distributed to most of Hong Kong’s 7.5 million residents from Sunday, which the show organizer expects will boost visitors’ shopping appetite.
Hong Kong has strictly adhered to China’s COVID-19 policy, implementing some of the world’s strictest restrictions for more than two years, including mandatory quarantine for international arrivals and a ban on group gatherings of more than four people in public places.
The city has been reporting between 3 and 4,000 infections daily in recent weeks, raising fears of a resurgence after more than 1.2 million residents fell ill and 9,300 died in the first four months of this year.