A man was attacked because of a bicycle on a dam in Algiers

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) — A local business owner was attacked while cycling on a dam in Algiers.

It happened on July 18 on the Mississippi River trail near the intersection of Odeon and Patterson streets.

“It must have been a shock. I was in pain. I was screaming, ‘Oh my God, oh my God,'” the man said.

It was the last thing he thought might happen to him when he tried to exercise on Monday morning around 8:15 am.

“The young lady parked her bike right where the incident happened and started doing cement crunches right there, so I was like, ‘OK, that’s pretty safe,’” he said. “I kind of let my guard down, thinking this is a really safe place. A lot of people go both ways there.”

He used to cycle in Audubon Park, but his truck was broken down, so he thought it would be safer to move to Westbank by riding along the seawall from Old Gretna to Chalmette Ferry and back.

“I pulled over at this shipyard, Todd’s old shipyard,” he said. “Every cyclist has to slow down right here because there are three bumps to go through, so there was a guy standing there. I didn’t think anything about it.”

He says that the man was not wearing sportswear, and he was just standing on the path near the first bump. He assumed that the man was just walking, and as he approached, the man even moved out of his way.

“After I got over the third bump, I started picking up speed and something came up from behind and hit me. It was him,” he said. “They knocked me off the big board they have right there, I turned it over and went down to the cement side of the dam.”

He broke his heel trying to catch himself as he fell.

“I had to crawl across the dam to get to safety,” he said. “I was trying to get to someone’s house to help me because I didn’t have a phone, my phone was attached to my bike. I see him leaving. I didn’t want him to see me move, thinking that he would come back and maybe finish me off. At that moment, I was defenseless. I was covered in blood.”

As soon as the attacker left, he tried to stop some people, but they were suspicious and kept moving.

“I’m screaming, ‘Please help me, please help me.’ I have been attacked. They stole my bike,” he said.

Eventually, three people returned to help, one of whom was a retired NOPD officer.

“I said, ‘Please don’t leave me, please don’t leave,'” he said. “I feared for my life.”

He says he is very grateful to the kind strangers, as well as the officers and paramedics who arrived there within 25 minutes.

“I don’t think I was the first. I don’t want this to happen to anyone else,” he said.

Now he has been in a cast for 12 weeks, but, fortunately, it has not become worse.

“I lost my vigilance. I should have been more aware, I should have been more careful. Just be careful out there,” he said.

The NOPD is investigating and is asking anyone with any information to call 4th District detectives or leave an anonymous review on Crimestoppers.

See the spelling or grammatical error in our story? Click here report it. Please include a title.

Copyright 2022 WVUE. All rights reserved.