North Korea condemns Nancy Pelosi for containment talks during Seoul visit

North Korea has criticized U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for her recent visit to the heavily fortified DMZ, calling it “the worst destroyer of international peace.”
Ms Pelosi, who visited Seoul earlier this week after a trip to Taiwan, has become the highest-ranking U.S. official to visit the joint security zone between the two Koreas since then-President Donald Trump met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un there in 2019. .

Prior to the JSA visit, Ms. Pelosi discussed the “serious situation” and the growing threat posed by the North’s nuclear weapons program with her South Korean counterpart, National Assembly Speaker Kim Jin Pyo.

The pair called for a “strong and extended containment of North Korea” and vowed to support Washington and Seoul’s efforts to denuclearize Pyongyang.
On Saturday, North Korea denounced Ms. Pelosi for both her talks with Mr. Kim and her visit to the JSA.
In addition to containment talks, Pelosi “appeared even in the Panmunjom joint security zone, completely betraying the vision of the current US administration’s hostile policy towards the DPRK,” said Jo Young Sam, a spokesman for the North Korean Foreign Ministry, using the official name of the DPRK.
“The US is just adding fuel to the fire,” Joe added in a statement released by Korea’s official central news agency in Pyongyang.

The JSA is the only place along the tense 250-kilometer border where soldiers from North Korea and the US-led UN Command stand face to face.

Ms. Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan also prompted threats and massive military exercises from China, which considers the self-ruled island part of its territory and has vowed to seize it by force if necessary.
China is a key ally and trading partner of the North, and Pyongyang also criticized Ms. Pelosi for the visit.
“Pelosi, the worst destroyer of international peace and stability… has incurred the wrath of the Chinese people for her recent trip to Taiwan,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
“The US will have to pay dearly for all the sources of trouble they generate wherever they go.”
The rebuke from the north came about a week after Mr. Kim Jong-un said his country was “ready to mobilize” its nuclear deterrent in any future military conflict with the United States and Seoul.
This year, North Korea conducted record-breaking lightning weapons tests, including a full-range launch of an ICBM for the first time since 2017.

Officials in Washington and Seoul have repeatedly warned that the North is preparing to conduct what will be its seventh nuclear test, a move that the United States warned would elicit a “quick and decisive” response.